Monday, November 08, 2010


















Halloween and Bonfire night - the Celtic new year and a celebration of the failure of the gunpowder plot - both of which are a good reason to stick on some wellies and get outside, away from computers and electrical distractions to smell damp earth and wood smoke.

I took these shots last year down in Hampshire, when a combined Halloween and bonfire night celebration lit up the fields with the orange glow from an enormous bonfire. I used a tripod (which I don't often do, due to having to carry it around) and some Fuji Superia 1600 film.

- Nikon FM2 - Fuji Superia 1600 -

9 comments:

Astrid said...

This shots are lovely. C.

I just loaded my camera with 800 film and I have that superia 1600 waiting for me in the fridge. Looking forward to finding out whether or not I like color grain.

kitchu said...

ha! i almost never carry the tripod for the same reasons, not a fan of lugging it too much. i love the illumination in these photos. and i haven't used any higher speed films yet- i just finished shooting my 1st 4 rolls with the holga this past week. haven't picked up a film camera in 7 years (! the horror !). i am thrilled to be using film again and am using my old Pentax as well (from like, 25 years ago).

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

They are great just as they are, but I'm sure your experimenting will be fun. I really like the glow coming from the lower right of the pumpkin image.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I've only just learned about Guy Fawkes because I'm reading Jane Eyre + taking some times to look up words and names I am not familiar with.

I don't recall learning about him in civics classes.

Pascale said...

The second photo is amazing. I love it.

kristina - no penny for them said...

i love colour grain - but i'm totally with you on that idea of trying different films and comparing the results. exciting!

Unknown said...

I love the grain too especially from the top image. I was thinking of taking a photography course next year (time permitting). Do you have any good ones to recommend?

http://bodieandfou.blogspot.com/2010/11/mood-board-for-white-something.html

Heather said...

LOVE the photo with the pumpkin! Really wonderful and every element only adds to the mood of it.

lucie said...

those photos are amazing!!