Thursday, June 16, 2011

I stood on a Cornish cliff top, trying to get high enough to find some reception to send a text. What the hell was I doing? In an insanely beautiful place and distracted from the view by my bloody phone.

Really, it was great to be cut off from everything. And by everything, I mean there was no internet, clearly no mobile reception and nothing to distract one bar the arresting beauty of the rugged wild.

I'm convinced that the internet has re-wired our concentration to give attention in short bursts and flit from news, to Flickr, to blogs and ooh an email then back to Flickr all within minutes - seconds, sometimes.

But, that said, there's so much out there to read and admire, so much good stuff. I save loads of links to my favourites every week - inspiration that's only loosely organised so I thought I'd put some down here in a short list of what's inspiring me, right now.
  • I'd like to go and stay here - note the remote location and lack of electricity
  • Brian's roses are both stunning and thought provoking
  • Camping in a bell tent is very appealing
  • I think Phaidon's Agenda blog is excellent
  • I'm strangely enamoured of this horse hook
  • And I would like to eat this 'linguine with briny mahogany clams' - thank you Gemma for the tip-off, Canal House Cooks Lunch is an excellent blog. 

10 comments:

alexandria said...

Really excellent links and paired with a beautiful shot! Thank you for sharing as you do.

leila said...

i know exactly what you mean by the internet distracting you. i feel like i haven't been completely enjoying the little things in life because it. then again, if i wasn't busy being so distracted, i would have never found your blog :) love your photos.

claire said...

oh i hear you. i do.
( as i type this on the teeny little keypad on my dad's iphone :)

Dave & Whitney said...

Oh gosh, sadly I've been sucked in by internet distractions. I've developed the smallest attention span in recent months. It's awful.

Astrid said...

Oh yes, the constant distraction of internet, yet so much inspiration to find. Your words just convinced me that I won't bring my laptop this weekend for my little trip to visit family. I will bring my book and enjoy it.

Mary said...

oh, that's so true about decreased attention spans.
i guess with the internet it's a question of balance. easy to say though! but i'm becoming increasingly glad that i haven't succumed to the tempation of an iphone.

Kathy said...

I feel the same way! Glad to hear I'm not the only one. :)

Also love the Holiday Cottages you linked to!

mei said...

Lovely blog! I am enjoying working my way through the posts like a good new book x

charlotte said...

Ah! The Bell Tent site. I've been looking for that for three years. Thank you :)

Kate said...

Phones are the devil, all too often. I know the feeling.