Wednesday, November 17, 2010





I love the beach. I love when temperatures are high and the walk down the scorching pebbles seems like too much effort but you know it will be worth it when you feel the salt water cool your bones.

I love early morning sunrise breakfasts, a hole scooped in the pebbles, filled with driftwood and lit to cook sausages and baked beans that taste better than anything before or after.

I love summer evenings when everyone else goes home for dinner and my family get that same fire going again, only moving when people start to nod off.

I could bang on for ages about the different ways in which I love the beach, but what I really wanted to say was how much I love the beach in the autumn and winter.

Some of my favourite beaches are in Devon. I'm biased, because I grew up there, but I think they're incredibly beautiful and particularly so at this time of year. The hordes have gone and on a windy autumn afternoon you can be pretty sure to have an almost solitary walk.

Last weekend, my parents and I drove a short way along the coast and walked for two hours along the sand and back again over the cliffs. It was magical.

- Kodak Ektar 100 - Nikon FM2 -

12 comments:

read me... said...

It certainly sounds magical and now has me hankering for the sea.

kitchu said...

that sounds like a bit of heaven on earth.

Astrid said...

Beautiful words, c. I know so well what you mean. There are some amazing beaches near Sandnes where I grew up. I love going for walks there when we are home for Christmas.

claire said...

this is magical.

and i hear you on the beach, although i've never really had a true fall / winter beach, since our fall / winter was non-existant! it's a scorching, moving through not so scorching in those cooler months :)
i think next time i'd like to go for a walk along your beaches.

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

The beach is my very fav place too. Whatever the season. My dream is to live in a house with steps out the beach one day.

Marion said...

Charlotte, these are exquisite !
thanks for your comment on my blog, COS is killing my credit card too...
;-)

Mary said...

beautifully written & i reallyagree with you. i miss the wild beaches in nz. the med is ok but it's really not the same!

kristina - no penny for them said...

many years ago i spent a couple of weeks at the sea in devon - such a wonderful place. both your words and photos are so lovely.

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

I love cool (even cold) and quiet off-season beaches. We spent a beautiful Christmas on Nantucket Island one year. It was gorgeous. Limantour Beach in Northern California is another winter favorite. So different, both lovely in their own way. Your early morning sunrise breakfast of sausages and beans cooked over driftwood must be wonderful. I've never had such a breakfast, but would like to.

KERRY said...

Beautiful. I much prefer beach walks at this time of year. I'm wondering where in Devon you grew up?

charlotte said...

thanks guys.
kerry, i grew up in budleigh salterton and those shots were taken at sandy bay, near exmouth :)

KERRY said...

I've only just seen your reply Charlotte. I know Budleigh Salterton well...I used to live in Woodbury...not far. Hope you have a lovely Christmas.