Tuesday, March 08, 2011
This story about this photo is shocking.
Image copyright and the internet sometimes sit uneasily with one another and to a much lesser extent, the back and forth I've had with Tumblr and weheartit over the last year to get my photographs removed from their sites - lifted from Flickr without my permission - is more of the same.
Flickr is brilliant in many ways and the vast majority of people are respectful of image copyright, but by putting shots on there, photographers are subject to some people blatantly ignoring the meaning of 'all rights reserved' and, right now, it seems to be very hard to control.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Well said, C. It's something I've tried to maintain a very open hand about, knowing that what I put up has every chance of appearing elsewhere without attribution, but sometimes stories like these make me want to take down every last photo.
Thanks for sharing this!
The internet in many ways is the 'wild west'...very disturbing and sad, this.
I try not to get annoyed when someone takes my photo from Flickr (they aren't available for download so they must be doing a screen cap), and then I find it posted on Tumblr 300 times—but I find the lack of respect regarding copyright really disheartening. This story is the saddest though.
Yes, this seems near impossible to control. Who knows where the images we post on the internet end up. We might find a few, but there are probably many others we'll never know about. Sadly, I believe the only way to be truly safe is not to post on the internet at all.
so, so sad. recent emails i've exchanged with a certain advertising firm only seem to confirm the fact that those who should be especially conscious of copyright laws are not. thanks for sharing.
Thanks for posting this - I was equally shocked by the lack of respect from supposedly reputable companies.
Like the photographer, I do get more upset on behalf of the subjects of my photos rather than people using my images. I'd rather they didn't but once it's on-line in any capacity, you've already taken that risk.
Thanks for posting this. Its got my wheels spinning....
well this bites. flickr has been the one place i can 'store' photos as another back-up. i hate the thought of anyone heisting them.
Yep, it's a real problem...
This is shocking! You just don’t expect that at all.
so frustrating. removed my stream to upload only a few, in smaller sizes this past year. such a shame to have to do such things.
Post a Comment