Tuesday, November 08, 2011

In René Redzepi's book 'Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine' - a study of the thought, processes and recipes behind the feted restaurant - there's a line that I keep coming back to.

Olafur Eliasson, in his essay at the start of the book, talks about a shared meal between a group of people who all eat the same dish and describes the different experience each person can have of the same food, saying "[it is] an event that prioritises individual perception within a space that is very much collective - the meal, the act of eating together."

It made me think about the meals I have with friends, often sharing the same dishes, forks reaching across the table to taste a new favourite down the other end, passing plates between us and asking for extra spoons.

These shots were all taken during recent meals. There was broad bean bruschetta at Spuntino on my birthday; paté on toast with cornichons at the St John Hotel after glasses of peachy/creamy Vouvray; olives and mussels at 32 Great Queen Street on one of the last dine outside evenings of the autumn, and madeleines and eccles cake after a meal that included purple sprouting and duck ham, but sadly no pig's tails, at St John Bread and Wine. I wonder what the others remember as their favourites, how they tasted to everyone else.

9 comments:

Anja said...

Such beautiful tables in all the photos. I wonder whether the weatherbeaten wood is part of the whole food movement. I haven't been to noma yet; I hope I'll be able to rectify that - I haven't been wanting to go while I'm still off alcohol. Just wait until spring, René!

Gemma said...

I mostly remember the mussels with thyme and the chocolate pot...

Suddenly feeling the need to revisit the food of 3 weekends ago!

Claire said...

"a shared meal between a group of people who all eat the same dish and describes the different experience each person can have of the same food, saying "[it is] an event that prioritises individual perception within a space that is very much collective - the meal, the act of eating together."

This really gets IT in a nutshell. And the peachy/creamy Vouvray of course. And chicken wings.

claire said...

well clearly 3 minute noodles and crackers was a stand out :)

Dawn M said...

Really beautiful, love the enamel-wear x

Jen said...

you capture these moments so perfectly, too. lovely.

pierre said...

miam miam !!!!

pierre said...

love the hands of the first pic...

karin said...

how that`s good looking here.